AW: [PyWrapper-devel] [tdwg-tapir] RE: WG: tapir: capabilities

"Döring, Markus" m.doering at BGBM.org
Tue Jul 25 11:54:29 CEST 2006

I agree that logging via GUID doesnt help in many cases where the provider wants to know what was searched for.

But searching on a portal-cache to find data from 20 different providers in 1 search and then sending of 20 log requests could also be annoying. Plus the burden of the portal of checking the registry if a providers really wants logging.

The most efficient is probably a portal specific logging as Donald suggests. But then providers would have a hard time agglomerating the logging data from several totaly different portals.

To get a comparable logging across different portals though it seems to me that Renatos suggestions are worth a try. It would definitely need guidlines for portal developers to know when to use a log request and how to use it. How to treat paging and map data are good examples where there is no obvious correct behaviour.

-- Markus