[tdwg-tapir] TAPIR namespace and versioning

Javier de la Torre jatorre at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 01:56:12 CEST 2006

Hi all,

After discussion in Tervuren about ABCD and versioning issues I
thought that we should maybe consider the same strategy for TAPIR.
That is:

-Do not include the protocol version in the namespace but rather use
always something like http://rs.tdwg.org/tapir
-Use the version attribute in the schema.
-Include a version attribute in the request top element to specify
the TAPIR version of the message.
-A new mandatory version parameter for GET operations called version.

I even think that we should not change the namespace when doing non
backwards compatible changes to the protocol. Clients should take
care themselves of looking at the version attribute always.

This is the way all OGC standards work and I think is a good strategy.

But this can probably be consider a pretty dramatic change in the
protocol right now... what do you think? I think it would be great to
include this strategy from the beginning so we are not so worry about
breaking clients with possible small changes in future versions.

Best regards,

Javier.