[tdwg-tapir] reload / expire external resources

"Döring, Markus" m.doering at BGBM.org
Thu Jan 5 15:12:27 CET 2006

Hello everyone,
I am in the process of scanning the schema for errors and update our examples in the SVN.

Currently there's a reload attribute in the searchTemplateGroup used by the inline search operation & the template definition. It doesnt really make sense for the template document, does it?

How should we handle this in general, maybe for all external resources?
a) dont do anything about caching. remove reload/expire attributes
b) allow external documents to specify an expiry date (like http)
c) add optional reload attribute to all references to external docs

In my implementation it was quite important to cache external documents that 1) need to be parsed/processed, like the xml schema docs and 2) that are not accessible all the time.

So I think I am in favor of b) and c) actually. The requestor can always specify a reload and the external resource provider can specify a likely expiry date.

Does this make sense or just complicates things?

Markus