[Tdwg-tag] GML application schema for TDWG

John R. WIECZOREK tuco at berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 10 06:49:36 CET 2006

Flip and all,

Thanks for that explanation. I can add a point of clarification that might
help people's understanding of the intention of the "uncertainty radius." I
think the stumbling block for most people is perfectly reflected in the
succinct definition Flip has given as an example,

"It is intended instead to include the true collection locality with 100%
certainty."

In fact, the uncertainty radius as we presented it specifically makes no
claim to include the true collection locality - it promises only to
interpret the primary data consistently. The primary data can be inaccurate.
One clear shortcoming of the paper, in retrospect, is that it did not
provide a succinct definition of the attribute "uncertainty radius" we were
promoting. I would like to venture such a definition now:

"The point-radius method (per Wieczorek et al.) describes the sources and
rules for combining uncertainties found in the spatial interpretation of
textual, descriptive locality data encountered in natural history occurrence
data. The 'uncertainty radius' defined by this method is the minumum
horizontal linear distance needed to describe a circle, projected onto a
geoid, within which lies the entirety of the physical location it is meant
to encompass. The uncertainty radius does not establish the verity of the
primary data upon which it is based."

Once you get deep into the georeferencing business you find that there are a
number of additional pieces of information about process and source
information from which the end user can benefit. Such is the experience
behind the numerous concepts in the proposed geospatial extension to DwC2.
It's also the reason why I proposed the unified packaging of geospatial
information.

I would like to register my support for Flip's recommendation that the
point-radius representation (including the metadata beyond the coordinate,
coordinate reference system, and distance) be included as the least common
denominator geometry in any geospatial schema we develop.

John