Thoughts

Donald Hobern dhobern at GBIF.ORG
Mon Feb 13 12:37:12 CET 2006

Bob,

I'm sorry that the conclusions of the meeting still seem so unclear.  I'll
try to summarise a few points of importance.  Please come back with your
thoughts/exasperation on any or all of these.

1.      The general conclusion of the meeting was that an RDF-based model
was desirable for content as well as description (recognising that in most
of our existing standards the distinction is blurred).  However we expect to
use the next few months to clarify what will work for our needs and I can
still foresee several possible variant solutions if we are not satisfied
with a full RDF-based approach (e.g. RDF Dublin Core for metadata and
tighter formalization of how we provide the rest of the information as data,
including use of versions; or, metadata containing a URL to retrieve our
content data from a DiGIR/BioCASe/TAPIR provider etc.; or, working with IBM
to introduce a modification to the LSID specification; etc.).
2.      We recognised that a recast of TDWG standards into an RDF-based
representation was not trivial, but a change at least somewhat like this
(from large document-based models to reusable data objects) is in any case
needed for many other reasons (better re-use, less churn from versioning;
simpler extensibility, etc.).
3.      The GUID workshop is not a totally isolated activity.  The new TDWG
Architecture Group (TAG) will be meeting separately to consider how to
standardise our data modeling and integrate better with other standards
(such as WFS and RDF).  It would be a major step forward for us to model our
standards in a framework that makes our OO-model explicit (rather than
relying on unstated implications of structure) and where it is also easy for
us to extend it with additional concepts/properties as required.  I hope
that we can agree our actual approach through the TAG discussions.
<personalAside>For what it's worth, my own vision up to now had been for
something like UML modeling followed by simultaneous generation of OWL-Lite
and XML Schema definitions for each data class (the XML Schema
representation being regarded as a convenience tool for generating a
document that - I hope - would perfectly correspond to the more semantically
clear OWL-Lite document).  The advantage of leap-frogging RDF to some form
of OWL is that we could have the semantic foundation to our models but still
retain something that has a familiar structure.</personalAside>
4.      It is important to note that the suggested prototype activities are
prefixed, "The potential prototypes.".  Right now I would expect several of
these only to test out the assignment of LSIDs to data objects and their use
for retrieving the objects independently of full LSID resolution or RDF
mapping.  I believe that the first real LSID-resolver test is likely to be
with Darwin Core (which is just about RDF-ready immediately).  We want to
use the next few months to play around with LSIDs in whatever areas we can.
Part of the purpose is to allow us to understand what software we need to
develop before trying it on a larger scale.  It will be part of my job to
find ways to get such software developed.

By the way, the GUID wiki is open for comments.  You can add pages to the
wiki, or use the comments link at the bottom of the page (these are
WikkaWakka comments that are shown like a set of footnotes).  As an
alternative I have added a new page for comments on this report:

http://wiki.gbif.org/guidwiki/wikka.php?wakka=GUID1ReportComments

Thanks as ever for your input,

Donald

Donald Hobern (dhobern at gbif.org)
Programme Officer for Data Access and Database Interoperability
Global Biodiversity Information Facility Secretariat
Universitetsparken 15, DK-2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Tel: +45-35321483   Mobile: +45-28751483   Fax: +45-35321480

  _____