[Tdwg-tag] Primary Objects as XML Structures or OWL Classes

Bob Morris morris.bob at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 15:17:26 CET 2006

I'm rushing off to the GISIN meeting at AGADIR and might not have much time
to respond more before midweek, or maybe even until I get back next week,
but:

0.  I _wish_ this discussion were taking place in a wiki, with RSS or email
notification,  so it is easier to follow if you cannot keep up with the
email

1.  I don't think specifications of high level things like "objects" should
be done in a serlization constraint languge such as RDF or XML Schema.
Instead, it should have something more general as the normative definition
and have _representation_ in one or more of such constraint languages. This
is the mechanism of W3C usually. Many (Most?) W3C standards have a normative
BNF definition, and one or more representations to allow implementers to
actually do business.  OMG favors UML for this, etc.There is nothing
inherently normative about, say RDF or XML Schema, for, say TaxonConcepts.
If you take the serialization language as the normative language, then in
the future you just end up having to support several serialization languages
when you find you want to extend your specification with something for which
the chosen one is insufficiently expressive. This, in fact, is what is going
on now with the cries for RDF over XML Schema. Put another way, if you
choose language L as the normative language, you are not building a
specification, but rather a set of constraints on applications written in L.
Such things do not have as long a life as actual specifications do and
mature standards bodies do not seem to use serialization languages as the
root specification language, as far as I can tell.  My conclusion is that
specifications should not be in anything like RDF or XML Schema, but in
something else---BNF is probably adequate for most TDWG standards---with
working subgroups responsible for publishing a serialization definition
implementing the standard in languages useful for one or another purpose,
e.g. LSID resolution.

Bob