[tdwg-tapir] conceptual binding

"Döring, Markus" m.doering at BGBM.org
Tue Feb 28 11:38:10 CET 2006

Hello,
I recently added support for schema imports in pywrapper mainly to support multiple namespaces in the repsonse.
Me (and Javier) wanted to allow something like this:

<wfs:FeatureCollection
    xmlns:wfs="http://www.opengis.net/wfs"
    xmlns:gml="http://www.opengis.net/gml"
    xmlns:gcp="http://www.ipgri.org/schemas/gcp_passport_gml/1.0">
    <gml:featureMember>
        <gcp:accession fid="accession.12">
            <gcp:GermplasmID>12</gcp:GermplasmID>
            <gcp:FAOInstituteCode>ES</gcp:FAOInstituteCode>
            <gcp:FullScientificName>Quercus ilex</gcp:FullScientificName>
        </gcp:accession>
    </gml:featureMember>
</wfs:FeatureCollection>

Here comes my problem:
How do we refer to the FullScientificName concept in TAPIR?

As a convention for schemas we said to create the fully qualified concept from the namespace and the simple xpath to the element. So somethinkg like this:

http://www.opengis.net/wfs#/FeatureCollection/featureMember/accession/FullScientificName

A real xpath to that element would of course include several namespaces:
/wfs:FeatureCollection/gml:featureMember/gcp:accession/gcp:FullScientificName

Could it be that we never need to refer to "compound" concepts anyway? A provider would probably map his db to the GCP schema alone. The WFS response is only the responded view/data model and we would still just use gcp#accession/FullScientificName as the qualified concept in filters. This is also true for our simple extension schemas I think (EFG for ABCD, all extensions for DwC). But arent there other cases?

Thanks,
Markus