[tdwg-tapir] TAPIR namespace and versioning

Renato De Giovanni renato at cria.org.br
Mon Aug 14 16:46:02 CEST 2006

Hi Javi and others,

Sorry about taking so long to answer this one.
Protocol and schema versioning seems to be a very complicated issue,
with big discussions and doubtful recommendations.

I'm also not sure about the best way to proceed, but I tend to agree
with Markus: change the namespace only for new major versions, but
always indicate the full version as an attribute of the schema.

Instance messages could also indicate the full protocol version in
the root element if the namespace will really be "reused" by
different versions over the time.

I just feel that version negotiation is probably too much at this
point. When time comes to make a major protocol change, providers
could probably set up different provider instances in separate access
points if they want to support more than one version. Having multi-
version provider software using the same access point is also an
alternative, but I fear we could be complicating the protocol for
things that we're not sure if they are going to be used or
implemented soon. Anyway, clients are always free to try parsing
future versions of protocol messages - they don't necessarily need to
break, as you said.

About your last question, versioning the schema targetNamespace
potentially affects each DOM node, SAX event and XPath node defined
in existing applications. This can be good or bad, depending on the
set of changes that were made in the protocol.

Regards,
--
Renato