LSID Software Gap Analysis

Roger Hyam roger at TDWG.ORG
Wed Apr 5 11:21:50 CEST 2006

Hi Kevin,

You only really need to use libraries to produce RDF responses to LSID
calls if you want to support multiple serializations. There is always
the simple template approach. The actual XML serialization of these
things is far simpler than your average web page.

The getMetadata call behind this lsid:

urn:lsid:hyam.net:bsbidemo:123

http://linnaeus.zoology.gla.ac.uk/~rpage/lsid/tester/?q=urn%3Alsid%3Ahyam.net%3Absbidemo%3A123

Is implemented in 122 lines of code (with a loads of whitespace) and no
XML libraries or any funny business - would run on any cheap ISP space
with PHP support. I wouldn't call it production quality but it could be
polished. I am afraid my motto is hack it first then only improve it
when you know why it doesn't work - a version of extreme programming I
guess.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Roger

--

-------------------------------------
 Roger Hyam
 roger at tdwg.org
 +44 1578 722782
-------------------------------------

--------------030507050408030109050408

<head>
</head>
Hi Kevin,<br>
You only really need to use libraries to produce RDF responses to LSID
calls if you want to support multiple serializations. There is always
the simple template approach. The actual XML serialization of these
things is far simpler than your average web page.<br>
The getMetadata call behind this lsid:<br>
urn:lsid:hyam.net:bsbidemo:123<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://linnaeus.zoology.gla.ac.uk/~rpage/lsid/tester/?q=urn%3Alsid%3Ahyam.net%3Absbidemo%3A123">http://linnaeus.zoology.gla.ac.uk/~rpage/lsid/tester/?q=urn%3Alsid%3Ahyam.net%3Absbidemo%3A123</a><br>
Is implemented in 122 lines of code (with a loads of whitespace) and no
XML libraries or any funny business - would run on any cheap ISP space
with PHP support. I wouldn't call it production quality but it could be
polished. I am afraid my motto is hack it first then only improve it
when you know why it doesn't work - a version of extreme programming I
guess.<br>
Just my 2 cents worth.<br>
Roger<br>
Kevin Richards wrote:
 type="cite">
choice of words.</div>
as the download came with examples of how to use RDF.&nbsp; The biggest
problem here is trying to work out how to correctly create an RDF
document from the index fungorum database I am connecting to (so really
more of a training issue).</div>
Microsoft .NET development projects (this was also during setup of to
the IndexFungorum LSID resolver).&nbsp; There&nbsp;is limited code available for
facilitating the creation of RDF documents for the Microsoft platform
(not a huge issue, as I could just use java code to create them, but
this has platform dependent issues later on).<br>
available to help everyone create RDF documents from their datasets,
ensuring the adoption of the RDF techonology is as easy as possible,
and has no obvious barriers.&nbsp; As Ben pointed out there&nbsp;are quite a lot
of tools, and Java code, for working with RDF, but I think it would be
useful if everyone thought about how they would get their data from the
database to an RDF document to make sure there are no missing
components to aid this process.</div>
&gt;&gt;&gt; <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:ricardo at TDWG.ORG">ricardo at TDWG.ORG</a> 5/04/2006 9:42 a.m. &gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; That is an excellent point, thanks for bringing it up!!<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Yes, I believe we should include RDF into the analysis. We just need<br>
to be careful about the wording, I guess.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; We clearly don't want to perform a gap analysis of all the existing<br>
RDF software. That would be too big of a task for the GUID group.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; In my opinion, we should evaluate:<br>
1) How well the current LSID server software supports the generation of<br>
metadata responses in RDF; and<br>
2) What capabilities the LSID client provides for ingestion of RDF.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Besides that, we can also try to compile a list of RDF toolkits and<br>
try to get evaluations of them, without performing a complete gap<br>
analysis. Some people was asking for links about RDF tools on the<br>
TDWG-TAG mailing list and on the GUID list as well. Take a look:<br>
  <a
 href="http://lists.tdwg.org/pipermail/tdwg-tag_lists.tdwg.org/2006-March/000063.html">http://lists.tdwg.org/pipermail/tdwg-tag_lists.tdwg.org/2006-March/000063.html</a><br>
  <a
 href="http://listserv.nhm.ku.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0602&amp;L=TDWG-GUID&amp;P=R6382">http://listserv.nhm.ku.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0602&amp;L=TDWG-GUID&amp;P=R6382</a><br>
  <a
 href="http://listserv.nhm.ku.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0602&amp;L=TDWG-GUID&amp;P=R6104">http://listserv.nhm.ku.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0602&amp;L=TDWG-GUID&amp;P=R6104</a><br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; So when you mention that it has been difficult to generate RDF, are<br>
you talking about the Java toolkit that you used to set up Index<br>
Fungorum LSID resolver or are you refering to the port of the client and<br>
server stacks to .NET?<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Cheers,<br>
Ricardo<br>
Kevin Richards wrote:<br>
&gt; Ricardo<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Do you think this analysis should include a gap analysis of RDF<br>
&gt; software as well , or would it be best to keep this separate?<br>
&gt; I think this is probably a more contentious issue - ie some doubts<br>
&gt; about RDF over XML.&nbsp; I have found setting up an LSID<br>
&gt; resolver/authority reasonably straight forward but trying to
implement<br>
&gt; the services using RDF has been a steep learning curve (and limited<br>
&gt; software/tools to help).<br>
&gt; I'll add more later.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Kevin<br>
&gt;<br>
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++<br>
WARNING: This email and any attachments may be confidential and/or<br>
privileged. They are intended for the addressee only and are not to be
read,<br>
used, copied or disseminated by anyone receiving them in error. If you
are<br>
not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by return email and<br>
The views expressed in this email are those of the sender and do not<br>
necessarily reflect the official views of Landcare Research. <br>
Landcare Research<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz">http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz</a><br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--

 Roger Hyam