LSID Annotation and Link-out

Bob Morris morris.bob at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 24 21:15:38 CEST 2006

TrackBack is a similar facility to PingBack. It appears that there was a
brief religious war between them 2-3 years ago (google "Trackback vs
Pingback"). Since both don't seem to that blog specific, it is curious that
there appears to be  no W3 effort to standardize a protocol or at least the
context for a protocol.

--Bob

On 4/21/06, Roderic Page <r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk> wrote:

> As Tony Blair is fond of saying, there is a third way. Why not co-opt
> an existing service, such as Pingback used in blogs (e.g.,
> http://hixie.ch/specs/pingback/pingback).
>
> Blogging can be thought of as distributed annotation. It provides a
> mechanism whereby if I comment on an entry in another person's blog,
> that person's blog gets notified automatically.
>
> Now, if we were really clever, we'd do things like support the blogging
> explicitly, and potentially get useful annotations almost for free. For
> example, if somebody makes an entry in their blog that links to an
> LSID, the data provider is notified of the blog entry via Pingback. If
> the blog supports an RRS 1.0 feed, then the blog serves RDF, which can
> be easily referenced as an annotation in the LSID metadata. We get this
> with minimal effort, and users can annotate in an environment they are
> familiar with (their blog software). I'm not suggesting blogs are the
> only annotation we support (obviously we'd like tools specific to our
> area of interest), but making use of what is out there seems to make
> sense to me.
>
> Given that there are existing tools out there to do this sort of thing,
> I don't think this would be hard to do. Why not add it to the list of
> things a TDWG-GUID-compliant data provider should/could support?
>
> Regards
>
> Rod
>

> On 21 Apr 2006, at 10:15, Donald Hobern wrote:
>

> > One of the topics identified under the "LSID Infrastructure Working
> > Group" umbrella relates to "GUID Annotation and Link-out Mechanisms"
> > (no other comments associated with this topic at this point). So far
> > no-one has expressed any interest in doing any work on this topic.
> >
> > Basically the question is whether we should adopt any mechanisms and
> > best practices for how a third-party data provider should serve
> > annotations and additional data fields to be related to a data object
> > with its own LSID and served by some other data provider. During
> > GUID-1 Ben Szekely mentioned the annotation interfaces that had been
> > proposed for use with LSIDs. This is a mechanism for a data provider
> > using LSIDs to expose an interface which a third-party data provider
> > may invoke to notify the first data provider that they are serving
> > such annotations. It is then up to the first data provider to decide
> > whether or not to include a reference to these annotations as part of
> > the metadata for the LSID in question.
> >
> > This is a collaborative approach which could be useful but which
> > relies on special software at both ends, in addition to any basis LSID
> > resolution stack. Unless a high proportion of data providers serving
> > LSIDs install software to accept notifications of annotations and to
> > store the appropriate external references, I do not believe that
> > third-party data providers will find it worthwhile to establish their
> > end of the interaction. Does anyone think otherwise?

> [...]

------=_Part_24886_6273000.1145927738247

TrackBack is a similar facility to PingBack. It appears that there was a brief religious war between them 2-3 years ago (google &quot;Trackback vs Pingback&quot;). Since both don't seem to that blog specific, it is curious that there appears to be&nbsp; no W3 effort to standardize a protocol or at least the context for a protocol.