Different reasons for different GUIDs

Tue Sep 13 20:05:55 CEST 2005

Hi Rod,

> Regarding mapping between GUIDs, I suspect the mapping may get very
> complicated, and a simple tree might not be appropriate. Attached is an
> example of relationships between names in MOBOT, based on RDF I
> generate for LSIDs for MOBOT names.

I think the diagram you sent seems complex only because it endeavors to
create direct linkages between name objects. As far as I'm concerned, the
only linkages shown on your diagram that should be treated as a direct
NameObject-NameObject links are the "basionym" links (actually, in my view,
this kind of relationship does not even need to exist at all).  All of the
other links should be routed between and among Name Objects indirectly, via
name-usage instances. The complexity is then passed to the network of name
usages, and would not affect the mapping of Taxon Name GUIDs that Peter
described.

Aloha,
Rich