Topic 1: What do we mean by "GUID"?

Peter Dawyndt Peter.Dawyndt at UGENT.BE
Wed Oct 12 18:09:19 CEST 2005

Dr. Peter Dawyndt
Laboratorium voor Microbiologie
Universiteit Gent
Ledeganckstraat 35
B9000 Gent, Belgie

Tel.: (32)9.264.51.32
Fax.: (32)9.264.50.92
Email: Peter.Dawyndt at UGent.be
Dear Matt,

> But nevertheless,
> the LSID spec provides for both distributed and centralized authority
> resolution, and so is a superset of the capabilities in DOI and ARK.

DOI uses the Handle System technology (developed independently by CNRI),
which in essence is nothing but an interface of a resolution service. DOI
uses an implementation of the Handle System which already incorporates a
federate scheme for identifier resolution. So, I think it is incorrect to
state that DOI does not offer distributed authority resolution. Local
resolution proxies are bound to resolve every DOI, also the ones that are
outside of their registration scope.

Cheers,

Peter