Topic 3: GUIDs for Taxon Names and Taxon Concepts

Nico Franz franz at NCEAS.UCSB.EDU
Tue Nov 1 13:50:59 CET 2005

Hi all:

   I am a member of the SEEK Taxon group. Donald has given a useful overview
of the names vs. concepts issue. I want to add that the "performance" of
taxonomic names over time in terms of reliably and precisely identifying the
same set of organisms can be quantified using the concept approach. Geoffroy
and Berendsohn (2003) have pioneered this kind of analysis for the German
moss data. Now Alan Weakley (UNC herbarium) has a dataset with more than
44,000 concept relationships that can be analyzed this way. Several smaller
data sets on weevils, birds, plants, and possibly bats, fishes, and rodents
are being prepared at the moment for a synthesis manuscript.

   We hope that such a broad-scale empirical analysis of the reliability of
names through time will motivate more database providers to try out the
concept approach. At the same time we're working on a tutorial-type paper
that explains how to establish third-party concept relationships given two
preselected classifications.

Best,

Nico

Nico M. Franz, Ph.D.
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis
MSB, Room # 3411, University of California
Santa Barbara, CA  93106-6150

Phone: (805) 893-5934; Fax: (805) 893-8062; E-mail: franz at nceas.ucsb.edu
Website: http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/~franz/