AW: Topic 3: GUIDs for Taxon Names and Taxon Concepts

Yde de Jong yjong at SCIENCE.UVA.NL
Wed Nov 9 15:20:35 CET 2005

Dear Roger,

Firstly thanks to Richard for answering most of
the question and sorry for my delayed reply.

The principal difference in how new combinations
are considered in zoology compared to botany is
indeed also reflected in how zoologists deal with
the authorship. A botanical taxonomic treatment
like:

Eupogodon spinellus (C.Agardh) Kützing
† Dasya spinella C.Agardh
= Dasyopsis spinella (C.Agardh) Zanardini

...would -with respect to the authorship(!)- be rewritten by a zoologist like:

Eupogodon spinellus (C.Agardh 1827)
† Dasya spinella C.Agardh 1827
= Dasyopsis spinella (C.Agardh 1827)

So the parentheses shows that the species name
not shows the original combination, that's all,
the authorship of new combinations is not kept.

I have to add that, in contrast to botany, the
zoological community is very heterogeneous and
split into many more or less isolated subgroups.
Between all those zoological subgroups different
interpretations of the ICZN and different
nomenclatural practices exists. Most vertebrate
groups for instance are bookkeeping combinations
in a way more or less similar to botany. Some
nematode taxonomists (especially those working on
plant parasites) deal with the authorship in a
botanical way, and so on.

I should check whether the use of the genus-group
name to handle objective synonymy is 'just' a
practise (in most insects groups) to economize
taxonomic work or governed by the code. I think
it's a practise, however, please don't forget
that zoologists are (also) absolutely free to
extensively preserve used combinations if they
prefer. If I am right some zoological database
systems like those of Richard (Taxonomer) and
Chris Lyall also keep the authorship of new
combinations (like in botany).

Kind regards,

Yde