Summary of Nomenclature and GUIDs

Sally Hinchcliffe S.Hinchcliffe at KEW.ORG
Fri Nov 11 08:52:57 CET 2005

Yde wrote
(among other things)

> A detail I would like to discuss  within this context in the near
> future is the best possible way to link species names to genetic
> resources (e.g. DNA barcodes).

This is something that CBOL have been discussing. I think that their
current draft is that barcode sequences should be linked to the best
available name (ie a well defined concept if there's a checklist,
otherwise a name from a nomenclator, & only if there's nothing
available from a nomenclator should they go for just a name, or even
an unpublished candidate name like sp A, sp. B )
When CBOL were discussing the link to names earlier this year (in
May) things weren't so well advanced on the GUID front so their
approach may need to be reviewed if we do get a good system of GUIDs
in place for names or concepts. However I know that they are
including GBIF in the discussions so hopefully whatever they come up
with will be compatible with whatever we come up with ...

Sally
*** Sally Hinchcliffe
*** Computer section, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
*** tel: +44 (0)20 8332 5708
*** S.Hinchcliffe at rbgkew.org.uk