Summary of Nomenclature and GUIDs

Roger Hyam roger at TDWG.ORG
Fri Nov 11 14:51:53 CET 2005

Yde,

This is not a problem. It doesn't really matter if some one tags data to
a TaxonName rather than a TaxonConcept. It just shows that they are
ignorant of which concept the specimen they are looking at belongs to or
ignorant of concepts all together. But what is important is that it will
be obvious what they have done and people can reason from their
decision. Probably in a large number of cases it simply won't matter
because there will only be one widely accepted concept anyway ...

If people really hate TaxonConcepts they will deliberately ignore the
whole thing and just link to TaxonNames (which will be bad) but at least
it would be a start and it would be clear what they are doing.

In the system I put forward earlier everyone can play and use it how
they like and it should be possible to work out what is going on. The
only things that will mess the system up is people not referring to
TaxonNames at all or a whole bunch of nomenclators issuing GUIDs for
TaxonNames in the same group and the community not then agreeing to use
just one of nomenclators. IMO neither of these things is likely to occur
to such an extent as to cause a problem.

Hope this helps,

All the best,

Roger

--