GUIDs for Taxon Names and Taxon Concepts

Kennedy, Jessie J.Kennedy at NAPIER.AC.UK
Tue Nov 15 11:49:27 CET 2005

Hi All

Following up on Rich and Roger's discussion.....

> Really??  Which two?  I assume you mean "one kind of GUID" for taxon

> objects, vs. "two kinds of GUIDs".  But earlier Rod Page had proposed

> three

> different "levels", with GUIDs for all three.  Others seemed to like

> three-level approach, but some slightly re-defined what the three
levels

> ought to be.  I pointed out at least 8 different "units" of a name,
not

> all

> of which could be unambiguously pidgeonholed into either a "TaxonName"

> object or a "TaxonConcept" object. You advocate two kinds (levels?
types?

> domains?) of GUID for taxon objects (i.e., Name & Concept).
Personally, I

> think the ultimate goal should be as you describe: separate GUID

> domains/kinds/types for TaxonNames vs. TaxonConcepts.  But Rod Page
and

> others contributing to this thread have convinced me that this might
be

> reaching for too much at this stage of the game.  Thus, I am
comfortable

> with the idea of establishing one domain/kind/type of GUID within the

> taxonomy realm, that is the most flexible and unambiguous of them all,
and

> which can serve as a "stepping-stone" and/or surrogate to a future

> informatics world where we have an unambiguous distinction between a

> "TaxonName" object and a "TaxonConcept" object. Importantly,
establishing

> GUIDs for usage instances now does not carry the risk that they will
be

> rendered useless in the future, because I think there will always be
value

> in identifying unique NameUsage instances.

> > Perhaps what we should do is each put together a page on the

> > wiki expounding either of the approaches. It will be easier

> > for some one coming along later to get up to speed on

> > the arguments and add to them. We then have both cases clearly

> > stated and we can see which one a consensus builds around.

> I agree with this, and took a hasty first stab at it with "Scenario 5"
on

> the page you created:

> http://wiki.gbif.org/guidwiki/wikka.php?wakka=SeparateNamesAndConcepts

> If I can find time, I'd be happy to expand it on a dedicated page,
using a

> real-world example (maybe a PDF excerpt of a representative
documentation

> instance).  I'd be happy to provide the PDF example, if you wish.

I find this all very interesting....

What Rich is proposing here is what the TCS originally proposed to the
TDWG community in terms of a model for Taxon concepts and names. However
as Rich pointed out I was of the view that if this were to be
implemented then we should focus on "original concepts" i.e. the first
usage of the name as a result of some taxonomic work and "revision
concepts" where a name was redefined as a result of some taxonomic work.

What I was doing was to try and restrict the number of "potential
concepts" that we had to deal with. As everyone on this list is probably
aware as soon as we talk about concepts there are those who will take us
into the realm of every time a concept is thought of in someone's minds
we have another potential concept which is clearly not practical for our
purposes. So using intent to define new concepts limited the number of
concepts to be managed (and IMHO would link the taxon concept work to
better science).

My argument for dealing only with original concepts and revision
concepts and not names was that the nomenclators were really capturing
information on original concepts (but without explicitly storing all the
definitional information in their databases). So couldn't we somehow
leverage this to get progress on names and concepts.

Where the original TCS approach differs from name usage was that I
didn't want just any usage of the name to be confused with well defined
taxon concepts or at least (as Roger explained) concepts where there was
an intent to define a concept rather than say identify an instance to
some existing taxon concept or even just refer to one in a text. General
name usage might be useful in the long run but in terms of helping us
decide what people have recorded information about out there, but to use
them as a basis for, say, data integration issues and resolution then
I'm not so sure it'll help us at first anyway.

However this idea was rejected by the community - people didn't want to
confuse names with concepts as much as I tried to convince them
otherwise - and one of my reasons was as Rich points out you would have
a single GUID "type". So we changed TCS so that we could have TaxonNames
and TaxonConcepts as separate top level elements (implying separate
GUIDs). I think one of the main reasons for this was that people seemed
to think that we could sort the names problem more easily and then we
could use this "agreed" list of names as the basis on which to build all
other systems including taxon concepts. I was of the view that if this
was what was needed to progress things then I was happy to separate them
out (knowing in my mind that we would need now at least 2 GUIDS for what
came from the same publication in the case of original concepts - we
would have the name details denoting the publishing of the name for the
first time and then we would have the concept as defined in the same
publication - probably same page etc. and possibly a nominal concept so
that I could identify something as this "name" but using a taxon concept
GUID).

So now we were at two "types" of GUIDS. Then Rod suggested a 3 level
approach - the two just mentioned and name strings. The discussion
between Rod and Rich on why give a name string a GUID was interesting. I
could see Rich's point that the GUID is a name string so what's the
difference really, you could match on name strings just as easily as
GUIDs (maybe). Of course what came out of that was that Rod's name
strings weren't simply name strings as Rich (and I and maybe others) had
originally thought but that they were name usages, hence I guess Rich's
renewed support for the name usage approach (still not clear if name
usages here are any name usages or for intended taxon concepts as Rich
suggested in a previous email on the topic).

So it seems we've come full circle again and a re still asking the same
questions.

Do we want a list of name strings without any attribution? What good
would this be. I guess as an index into other sources as others have
saidpossibly to help with spelling mistakes etc which could be mapped to
possible names or concepts, but at that point I'd see them turning into
name usages because people would want to know where it was used so they
could get a better idea of what was meant. Trouble is as soon as we
start attributing names to publications or any other source we get this
enormous explosion of name usages and then we need to deal with the
equivalences between them. Which is really the taxon concept problem but
multiplied to the power ?

So I vote for 2 GUID systems for the time being with the proviso that
TaxonName GUIDs not be allowed to refer to concepts i.e. not for
identifying things or describing things, TaxonConcept GUIDs should be
used here. But if this was to happen what would a name usage be - would
it refer to TaxonName GUIDs or TaxonConcept GUIDs (possibly Nominal)or
to neither? I guess it could be either of the first two but probably
will be the last, until it becomes practice to refer to TaxonNames and
TaxonConcepts using their GUIDs.

I think we really need to support different groups sorting out the
problem in different taxonomic groups. I guess in a way much like the
Catalogue of Life has been doing. However I'd still see IPNI doing
plants, Index Fungorum doing fungi and zoobank doing animal TaxonNames
etc and then whomever is working in TaxonConcepts i.e. producing
descriptions or definitions for things we really think are out there to
publish TaxonConcepts with GUIDs from their perspective while referring
to IPNI or zoobank TaxonNames. Slowly the TaxonConcepts will become more
self referencing but in the meantime what we'll need is the aggregators
to start relating all the TaxonConcepts which have been defined for
resolution services. Currently I see the Catalogue of Life as a group
producing concepts but which aren't maybe always well tied down to a
clear definition or description but which could easily be addressed. So
they give a view of the concepts in the world and could act as a good
starting point for linking other concepts to.

Jessie

This message is intended for the addressee(s) only and should not be read, copied or disclosed to anyone else outwith the University without the permission of the sender.
It is your responsibility to ensure that this message and any attachments are scanned for viruses or other defects. Napier University does not accept liability for any loss
or damage which may result from this email or any attachment, or for errors or omissions arising after it was sent. Email is not a secure medium. Email entering the
University's system is subject to routine monitoring and filtering by the University.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C5E9DA.A1D8C053

<head>
<!--
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoPlainText, li.MsoPlainText, div.MsoPlainText
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Courier New";}
@page Section1
	{size:595.3pt 841.9pt;
	margin:72.0pt 69.6pt 72.0pt 69.6pt;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->

</head>

10.0pt'>&gt; Really??&nbsp; Which two?&nbsp; I assume you mean &quot;one kind

10.0pt'>&gt; objects, vs. &quot;two kinds of GUIDs&quot;.&nbsp; But earlier Rod

10.0pt'>&gt; different &quot;levels&quot;, with GUIDs for all three.&nbsp;

10.0pt'>&gt; three-level approach, but some slightly re-defined what the three

10.0pt'>&gt; ought to be.&nbsp; I pointed out at least 8 different

10.0pt'>&gt; of which could be unambiguously pidgeonholed into either a

10.0pt'>&gt; object or a &quot;TaxonConcept&quot; object. You advocate two

10.0pt'>&gt; domains?) of GUID for taxon objects (i.e., Name &amp;

10.0pt'>&gt; domains/kinds/types for TaxonNames vs. TaxonConcepts.&nbsp; But

10.0pt'>&gt; others contributing to this thread have convinced me that this

10.0pt'>&gt; reaching for too much at this stage of the game.&nbsp; Thus, I am

10.0pt'>&gt; with the idea of establishing one domain/kind/type of GUID within

10.0pt'>&gt; taxonomy realm, that is the most flexible and unambiguous of them

10.0pt'>&gt; which can serve as a &quot;stepping-stone&quot; and/or surrogate

10.0pt'>&gt; informatics world where we have an unambiguous distinction between

10.0pt'>&gt; &quot;TaxonName&quot; object and a &quot;TaxonConcept&quot;

10.0pt'>&gt; GUIDs for usage instances now does not carry the risk that they

10.0pt'>&gt; rendered useless in the future, because I think there will always

10.0pt'>&gt; &gt; the arguments and add to them. We then have both cases

10.0pt'>&gt; I agree with this, and took a hasty first stab at it with

10.0pt'>&gt; If I can find time, I'd be happy to expand it on a dedicated page,

10.0pt'>&gt; real-world example (maybe a PDF excerpt of a representative

10.0pt'>&gt; instance).&nbsp; I'd be happy to provide the PDF example, if you

style='font-size:10.0pt;color:black'>What Rich is proposing here is what the
TCS originally proposed to the TDWG community in terms of a model for Taxon
concepts and names. However as Rich pointed out I was of the view that if this
were to be implemented then we should focus on &quot;original concepts&quot;
i.e. the first usage of the name as a result of some taxonomic work and &quot;revision

style='font-size:10.0pt;color:black'>What I was doing was to try and restrict
the number of &quot;potential concepts&quot; that we had to deal with. As
everyone on this list is probably aware as soon as we talk about concepts there
are those who will take us into the realm of every time a concept is thought of
in someone's minds we have another potential concept which is clearly not
practical for our purposes. So using intent to define new concepts limited the
number of concepts to be managed (and IMHO would link the taxon concept work to

style='font-size:10.0pt;color:black'>My argument for dealing only with original
concepts and revision concepts and not names was that the nomenclators were
really capturing information on original concepts (but without explicitly
storing all the definitional information in their databases). So couldn&#8217;t

style='font-size:10.0pt;color:black'>Where the original TCS approach differs
from name usage was that I didn't want just any usage of the name to be
confused with well defined taxon concepts or at least (as Roger explained)
concepts where there was an intent to define a concept</span></font> rather <font
color=black><span style='color:black'>than say identify an instance to some
existing taxon concept or even just refer to one in a text. General name usage
might be useful in the long run but in terms of helping us decide what people
have recorded information about out there, but to use them as a basis for, say,
data integration issues and resolution then I'm not so sure it'll help us at

style='font-size:10.0pt;color:black'>However this idea was rejected by the
community - people didn't want to confuse names with concepts as much as I tried
to convince them otherwise - and one of my reasons was as Rich points out you
would have a single GUID &quot;type&quot;. So we changed TCS so that we could
have TaxonNames and TaxonConcepts as separate top level elements (implying separate
GUIDs). I think one of the main reasons for this was that people seemed to
think that we could sort the names problem more easily and then we could use
this &quot;agreed&quot; list of names as the basis on which to build all other
systems including taxon concepts. I was of the view that if this was what was
needed to progress things then I was happy to separate them out (knowing in my
mind that we would need now at least 2 GUIDS for what came from the same publication
in the case of original concepts - we would have the name details denoting the
publishing of the name for the first time and then we would have the concept as
defined in the same publication - probably same page etc.</span></font> <font
color=black><span style='color:black'>and possibly a nominal concept so that I

style='font-size:10.0pt;color:black'>So now we were at two &quot;types&quot; of
GUIDS. Then Rod suggested a 3 level approach - the two just mentioned and name
strings. The discussion between Rod and Rich on why give a name string a GUID was
interesting. I could see Rich's point that the GUID is a name string so what's
the difference really, you could match on name strings just as easily as GUIDs
(maybe). Of course what came out of that was that Rod's name strings weren't
simply name strings as Rich (and I and maybe others) had originally thought but
that they were name usages, hence I guess Rich's renewed support for the name
usage approach (still not clear if name usages here are any name usages or for

style='font-size:10.0pt;color:black'>So it seems we've come full circle again

style='font-size:10.0pt;color:black'>Do we want a list of name strings without
any attribution? What good would this be. I guess as an index into other
sources as others have saidpossibly to help with spelling mistakes etc which
could be mapped to possible names or concepts, but at that point I&#8217;d see
them turning into name usages because people would want to know where it was
used so they could get a better idea of what was meant. Trouble is as soon as
we start attributing names to publications or any other source we get this
enormous explosion of name usages and then we need to deal with the
equivalences between them. Which is really the taxon concept problem but multiplied

style='font-size:10.0pt;color:black'>So I vote for 2 GUID systems for the time
being with the proviso that TaxonName GUIDs not be allowed to refer to concepts
i.e. not for identifying things or describing things, TaxonConcept GUIDs should
be used here. But if this was to happen what would a name usage be &#8211;
would it refer to TaxonName GUIDs or TaxonConcept GUIDs (possibly Nominal)or to
neither? I guess it could be either of the first two but probably will be the
last, until it becomes practice to refer to TaxonNames and TaxonConcepts using their

style='font-size:10.0pt;color:black'>I think we really need to support
different groups sorting out the problem in different taxonomic groups. I guess
in a way much like the Catalogue of Life has been doing. However I&#8217;d
still see IPNI doing plants, Index Fungorum doing fungi and zoobank doing
animal TaxonNames etc and then whomever is working in TaxonConcepts i.e. producing
descriptions or definitions for things we really think are out there to publish
TaxonConcepts with GUIDs from their perspective while referring to IPNI or
zoobank TaxonNames. Slowly the TaxonConcepts will become more self referencing
but in the meantime what we&#8217;ll need is the aggregators to start relating
all the TaxonConcepts which have been defined for resolution services. Currently
I see the Catalogue of Life as a group producing concepts but which aren&#8217;t
maybe always well tied down to a clear definition or description but which
could easily be addressed. So they give a view of the concepts in the world and

<SPAN
style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: blue; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><FONT
size=3>This message is intended for the addressee(s) only and should not be
read, copied or disclosed to anyone else outwith the University without the
permission of the sender. It is your responsibility to ensure that this message
and any attachments are scanned for viruses or other defects. Napier University
does not accept liability for any loss or damage which may result from this
email or any attachment, or for errors or omissions arising after it was sent.
Email is not a secure medium. Email entering the University's system is subject
to routine monitoring and filtering by the University.</FONT>
</SPAN>