Taxon debate synthesis?

Ricardo Scachetti Pereira ricardo at TDWG.ORG
Thu Nov 17 10:07:25 CET 2005

    Jessie,

    I think we should really have one GUID system for anything.
    For one, a single GUID system will favor integration within and
across domains. For example, if you get a GUID somewhere, you don't need
to figure out which GUID system you use to resolve it, you just resolve
it within the one GUID system and get metadata describing the object.
Can be a taxon concept, which can have GUIDs linking it to specimens and
observation data, which in turn can be resolved using the same architecture.
    Second, I tend to think that such a system will work better if the
assigning authorities are descentralized, i.e. agents are free to assign
GUIDs to anything.
    What controls the caos in this case are the metadata services. You
can issue GUIDs right and left, but then what will add value to them is
how you cross link them and maybe more importantly, how the community
uses the objects you issued GUIDs for (again this relates to cross
linking objects).
    Third, if you want, you still can have a centralized metadata
service that works like an authority saying which taxon GUIDs are important.
    I just don't think you can enforce data correctness at the issuing
authority level.

    Regarding your comment that computers can't handle metadata, I think
we need to explore that a little bit more with examples. Could some of
us in the group present more concrete examples on how something like
that would be done? I think that if we define one or more ontologies
(i.e. a classification scheme for things getting GUIDs) computers can
than say: I know what the class this object belongs to, it's a
NameUsage, or a TissueFromSpecimen, and act upon it. If the system
doesn't know what kind of object that is, it can just ignore it or try
to render it using a xslt stylesheet that can be used to displays that
content to the user (if that's available).

    Cheers,

Ricardo