[tdwg-tapir] search with no result

"Döring, Markus" m.doering at BGBM.org
Fri Nov 18 10:47:44 CET 2005

OK, agreed. Gonna put it to the wiki notes until we get the specs sorted:
http://ww3.bgbm.org/protocolwiki/PreliminaryProtocolNotes
markus

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: tdwg-tapir-bounces at lists.tdwg.org [mailto:tdwg-tapir-bounces at lists.tdwg.org] Im Auftrag von Roger Hyam
Gesendet: Freitag, 18. November 2005 10:33
An: Steven Perry
Cc: tdwg-tapir at lists.tdwg.org
Betreff: Re: [tdwg-tapir] search with no result

A blank (as in just XML declaration) sounds good to me.

Roger

Steven Perry wrote:

	Markus,

	I've been wondering about this too.  My feeling is that we simply return
	an empty document (xml definition at top, but empty otherwise).  I think
	defining a custom <NULL> or <NoMatches> element may be confusing because
	with no envelope, the message should be an instance of some schema other
	than TAPIR -- one that does not define <NULL> or <NoMatches>.  I think
	the first approach (empty doc) is less likely to break clients.

	-Steve

	Döring, Markus wrote:

		I found an unsolved problem in my pywrapper notes today regarding envelope-less operations. If I request a TAPIR GET service search operation which doesnt match any results, what should be returned?

		Without an envelope this would be an empty document without even a root!
		Should we turn on the envelope in this case? Or return something like <NULL> or <NoMatches> defined by the protocol?

		Markus

 Roger Hyam
 Technical Architect
 Taxonomic Databases Working Group