[tdwg-tapir] TapirLite

Renato De Giovanni renato at cria.org.br
Mon Nov 21 13:46:08 CET 2005

Hi Markus,

I'm not sure that all client software will need to handle all
possible types of TAPIR providers. When writing a client for a
specific network, one could even assume the level of functionality
available from all providers and rely on the network registry (UDDI,
manual configuration file, or whatever) to point only to the
compatible ones.

On the other hand, I do agree that the new "operators" section in the
capabilities response is more complicated than necessary. I would
prefer to see "operators" an optional element (TapirLite would simply
not have it), but then we could make all other elements inside it
mandatory (except the custom ones). This way we could easily
distinguish minimalistic implementations, and at the same time get
rid of weird situations when a provider could offer the "and"
operator but not the "or", and things like that. In other words, if
"operators" is present, we could safely assume a lot of things
without adding much complexity to clients.
--
Renato