[tdwg-tapir] ideas & TapirLite

Renato De Giovanni renato at cria.org.br
Mon Nov 21 18:49:00 CET 2005

Hi again...

(sorry about not being able to respond promptly when multitasking...)

Markus, you're right that there are more things that are missing in
the current protocol in order to address TapirLite as it was
originally conceived.

The "view" operation was only available through GET parameters
without any XML in requests. And it didn't accept custom filters or
partial structures. It was mainly a means to allow easy creation of
links giving access to useful XML views on top of our services (it
would be a sad contradiction to have such powerful services without
being able to easily create links to data). In other words, the idea
was just to make it possible for "first class objects" to reveal
themselves from existing data provider services. Views were not even
intended to be used as the basis of interoperability in our networks
(remember that they used to be referenced by local aliases!).

The idea of TapirLite changed the original intention of views by
bringing them to the interoperability front and thus requiring URIs
as their identifiers - which was a good thing. And it also changed
the very Tapir core by dropping the need to support dynamic output
models - which is now an optional feature also for other reasons.

So if I'm understanding correctly, even if we make "operators"
optional, according to the new schema TapirLite would still need to
be able to handle XML requests and also the "partial" structure
parameter - which was not expected for "views" in the previous
protocol version and may not be trivial to implement.

Your suggestion of having <FullService> and <LiteService> looks a bit
drastic to me, but it also recalls the possibility of bringing back
the other operation that we dropped (call it "view" or any other
name). As it was previously defined, this operation would not support
XML messages in requests, and would not support the parameters
"filter" and "partial". In this case, the current capabilities
section for "queryTemplates" would need to move under this new (old?)
operation, but searches could also make use of them.

Another option would be to keep the operations as they are now,
include an attribute called "partial" in the "queryTemplates" element
(or somewhere else?) to indicate if partial structures are accepted,
and on the other hand force TapirLite to also understand XML requests
(should not be a big deal in this case, or am I wrong?).

Regards,
--
Renato