RDF/architecture/ontology - migration

Ricardo Scachetti Pereira ricardo at TDWG.ORG
Mon Nov 21 22:25:57 CET 2005

    Roger,

    You've raised a very important issue. Deciding whether our community
should continue to use XML Schema or adopt RDF, (or anything else for
that matter) is a sizeable discussion. Although it is intrinsically
related to GUIDs, the discussion is well beyond the scope and timeframe
of this group.
    What that tells us is that whatever GUID solution we come up with,
it should leave some flexibility to support either one of the approaches
(i.e., this is a new requirement). So, answering your question (and
Chuck's), it shouldn't matter much. At least not if we are talking about
the underlying GUID infrastructure (the boring part, as some of us say ;)
    To make it more concrete, take LSID for example. It already offers a
hook to solve this kind of problem. Roughly, that's the protocol to
resolve a GUID using LSIDs:

1) Client has a LSID and wants to resolve it. It queries a authority
discovery service (implemented using DNS) to know who can resolve that LSID
2) Client discovers who can resolve that LSID. Client then queries the
resolving authority to find out how to get data or metadata regarding
that LSID.
3) When requesting metadata, the client can specify what kinds of
metadata it wants back. Those types can be any IANA media type (i.e.
HTTP Content-types), such as x-application/rdf+xml,
x-application/xmi+xml, xml, xml-dtd, etc.

    Using that feature one can implement metadata services responding
using XML Schema or RDF independently. So, at least for LSIDs, we have
the hook that will allow GUID group to progress without the need to
answer to your original question. But that will buy us only little time.
At some point, when we turn back to the metadata part of our GUID
solutions and the onthologies (remember, those discussions about what
gets GUIDs for specimens and taxon?). That's when we need to address the
XML Schema vs. RDF question. But at least, we can still separate the
basic GUID framework from the implementation details of the metadata layer.
    Then, depending on how the discussion progresses in other forums
(TAG, probably), we can implemen either one (or both).
    Finally, to address Matt's comments, I'm not suggesting we leave the
resolution loose. I'm just proposing that we leave it open until we get
a clearer map of how to progress.
    Cheers,

Ricardo