DNS for discovery in LSID

Ricardo Scachetti Pereira ricardo at TDWG.ORG
Wed Dec 21 01:10:07 CET 2005

    Hi folks. It's me again.

    Also during my reading of the GUID technologies specs, I identified
some controversial issues that I would like to introduce to the list for
discussion. Here goes the first one.

    In the DOI handbook, the authors argue that DNS shouldn't be used as
a general name resolution system. Their arguments are the following:

* DNS would not scale to support a large number of digital objects as
required in a GUID framework (did they mean to use one domain name as an
identifier for every object?!?!?)
* Names included in identifiers might be implicated in trademark disputes.
* DNS administration model is not suitable for a general purpose name
system, i.e., only network administrators can manage DNS records.
* Change in ownership of domain names can prevent authorities from
resolving identifiers.
* That reduces semantic opacity of identifiers

    LSID technology uses DNS for resolution discovery. My questions are:
Is LSID affected by any of those issues? How can we work around them? If
the response includes using the alternate discovery method which is part
of the LSID specification (NAPTR), is that operational? If not, what
would it take to make it work?

    Regards,

Ricardo

PS. If you are a LSID enthusiast and got mad at me for spilling the
beans on it, don't worry, I have some good ones about DOI and Handle in
my bag ;)

--------------020805080906090107060501

begin:vcard
fn:Ricardo Pereira
n:Pereira;Ricardo
org:International Working Group on Taxonomic Databases
email;internet:ricardo at tdwg.org
title:Software Engineer
url:http://www.tdwg.org/
version:2.1