DOI or Handle System

Robert Huber rhuber at WDC-MARE.ORG
Thu Dec 22 11:08:48 CET 2005

Dear Ricardo,

The costs of DOIs really is a drawback of this system, this is true.
However, DOI currently represents the mainstream in GUID technologies,
most major publishers use it for their electronic publications. This
basically is it's main 'advantage'.

Handle (sensu latu) seems to be a robust system and is an approved
technology and used for commercial applications. For us at the WDC
that was the point to use it and the DOI 'trademark' was an argument
for using DOI (sensu strictu ;) ).
Our data sets are electronic objects eg.:
http://doi.pangaea.de/10.1594/PANGAEA.81110 which have a complete
set of dc compatible metadata set, such as authors, title etc.
We intended to raise the value of scientific primary data by making
this primary scientific data citeable as publications.
But of course, data publications might be somewhat different to what
GUIDs in GBIF are intended to be.

You also raise the question of metadata. In my point of view, this is
going to be the key issue. Metadata will allow to handle the relations
between GUID objects, eg. which taxon name relates to genetics,
observatory data, concepts or publication etc..

best regards,
Robert

Dr. Robert Huber
WDC-MARE / PANGAEA - www.pangaea.de, www.wdc-mare.org
Stratigraphy.net - www.stratigraphy.net
MARUM - Institute for Marine Environmental Sciences (location)
University Bremen
Leobener Strasse
POP 330 440
28359 Bremen
Phone ++49 421 218-65593, Fax ++49 421 218-65505
e-mail rhuber at wdc-mare.org, robert.huber at stratigraphy.net