[TDWG-MIDS] Update from last meeting

Elspeth Haston EHaston at rbge.org.uk
Mon Oct 17 19:04:04 UTC 2022

Dear all

Many thanks to all those who were able to join the extra meeting this week.

The notes from the meeting are here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19ET0p6641ZNzNQG4qNs_jje0LokoKJ9Ls5bhFdUw184/edit

We now have a more-or-less final MIDS-0 (https://github.com/tdwg/mids/labels/MIDS-0) and MIDS-1 https://github.com/tdwg/mids/labels/MIDS-1)

For MIDS-2 (https://github.com/tdwg/mids/labels/MIDS-2), we have a list of proposed terms.

  *   We still need discussion on Stratigraphy (https://github.com/tdwg/mids/issues/61) and Mass (https://github.com/tdwg/mids/issues/4) in particular. We will be contacting some people with expertise in Geology and Palaeontology but would welcome engagement with these elements in the Github issues or as comments in the MIDS Googledoc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mc9sf8X8l8iSc-GO2ZFmgCoOiJNxKRhYeGq5OFmsfw8/edit#<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mc9sf8X8l8iSc-GO2ZFmgCoOiJNxKRhYeGq5OFmsfw8/edit>), whichever people feel more comfortable with.
  *   We will need to make a final decision on the names of the elements in MIDS-2.

For all MIDS elements, we need to finalise the mapping. Please can you all have a look at the existing mapping to see what is currently missing or incorrectly mapped. We are using the concepts of "maps exactly" and "maps broadly". The mapping to ABCD in particular needs to be added for many of the elements.

The Google slide presentation for the TDWG conference is here https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1NsEmGFQti6o6cHfCNUtSGMxjG6kQqZ7B7SVPvluNqEk/edit#slide=id.g141a17cc1f9_0_242). It is being presented in the Late stage groups symposium (SYM15). Please e-mail me directly if you have any comments or suggestions.

We have proposed a Working Meeting during the TDWG Working Meeting sessions in November. Our time slot is 2.30pm UTC, 10 November. We hope to see you there.

The working meeting will be followed by more frequent Task Group meetings as we try to more forwards with completing the specification. We will send further information on the dates of the meetings shortly.

We have made significant progress over the summer and autumn and we would like to extend a big thank you to all those who have been giving valuable time and expertise to the development of the MIDS specification. We are getting close to the final draft which will go forwards to the TDWG committee.

With best regards

Elspeth and Cat

Dr E M Haston
Deputy Herbarium Curator, The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh
20a Inverleith Row, Edinburgh  EH3 5LR
Tel: 00 44 (0)131 248 2816    Fax: 00 44 (0)131 248 2901
E-mail: e.haston at rbge.org.uk<mailto:e.haston at rbge.org.uk>

Search our Herbarium collections online at http://data.rbge.org.uk/herb

The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh<https://www.rbge.org.uk> is a charity registered in Scotland (No SC007983) | Support Us<https://www.rbge.org.uk/support-us>

This notice applies to this email and to any other email subsequently sent by anyone at RBGE and appearing in the same chain of email correspondence. References below to "this email" should be read accordingly. This e-mail and its attachments (if any) are confidential, may be protected by copyright and may be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, notify us immediately by reply e-mail, delete it and do not use, disclose or copy it. Unless we expressly say otherwise in this e-mail, this e-mail does not create, form part of, or vary, any contractual or unilateral obligation. No liability is accepted for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan attachments (if any). Where this e-mail is unrelated to the business of RBGE, the opinions expressed within this e-mail are the opinions of the sender and do not necessarily constitute those of RBGE. RBGE emails are filtered and monitored.