[TDWG-MIDS] TDWG MIDS Task Group meeting tomorrow - 2 June 2022

Elspeth Haston EHaston at rbge.org.uk
Wed Jun 1 22:19:51 UTC 2022

[cid:image002.png at 01D8760E.17573300]Dear all

This is just a reminder for the TDWG MIDS Task Group meeting tomorrow.

TDWG MIDS Task Group Monthly meeting

Thursday 2 June

13:30 UTC (see list below for some local times)

Join Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88108135877?pwd=SnJ3Wkl0bldwWjZETTN1NFZPWVJhdz09

Meeting ID: 881 0813 5877

Passcode: MIDS

Agenda: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19ET0p6641ZNzNQG4qNs_jje0LokoKJ9Ls5bhFdUw184/edit

We need to get MIDS finalised and I think that the only way we can do this sensibly is to simplify the levels and elements. I've therefore gone through the elements for each of the MIDS levels and come up with suggestions. I've put these into the GitHub as much as possible. I know that some of you have been commenting in the GitHub issues for these already - thanks for taking the time to do that.

The Agenda/Notes document also has the list below so that we can go through them and hopefully make some decisions so that we can finalise MIDS-0 and MIDS-1 and get broad agreement on MIDS-2.

MIDS-0 (https://github.com/tdwg/mids/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3AMIDS-0)

  1.  PhysicalSpecimenID - I'd be tempted to change this to SpecimenIdentifier
  2.  Institution - Simplify institution to a single element with a recommendation that people include a human readable term and a PID.
  3.  Modified - pretty much as it was

MIDS-1 (https://github.com/tdwg/mids/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3AMIDS-1)

  1.  MaterialSampleType - use to delimit the specimens to which MIDS refers
  2.  ObjectType - use for a general term for the kind of specimen
  3.  Name - pretty much as it was
  4.  Licence - created a new element for this

MIDS-2 (as MIDS-1 but with the additional elements)

  1.  GeographicCoordinates - as one of only two elements for geographic information
  2.  Elevation/Depth - as one of only two elements for geographic information
  3.  Collector - The name(s) of the individual(s) or expedition that collected the specimen
  4.  CollectorNumber - The number assigned to the specimen by the collector prior to the specimen being accessioned in an institution. For example: collector number, field number
  5.  CollectionDate - The date/time at which a gathering event occurred. For specimen gathering, this is the date/time when the event was recorded.

MIDS-3 (as MIDS-2 but with the additional elements)

  1.  Determination(s) - All determinations attached to the specimen, including information about the determiner(s).
  2.  LabelInformation - All information from the original collection label not covered by specific elements. For example: description, habitat, associated material.
  3.  PID links to other data present or information known about the specimen -
  4.  PID links to annotations
  5.  PID links to interpretations
  6.  PID links to provenance

Hopefully, we will be able to get agreement about the elements that should be included within each Level and we can then finalise the definition, purpose, examples, etc for each one.

We look forward to seeing you tomorrow.

With best wishes

Elspeth

Dr E M Haston
Deputy Herbarium Curator, The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh
20a Inverleith Row, Edinburgh  EH3 5LR
Tel: 00 44 (0)131 248 2816    Fax: 00 44 (0)131 248 2901
E-mail: e.haston at rbge.org.uk

Search our Herbarium collections online at http://data.rbge.org.uk/herb

The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh<https://www.rbge.org.uk> is a charity registered in Scotland (No SC007983) | Support Us<https://www.rbge.org.uk/support-us>

This notice applies to this email and to any other email subsequently sent by anyone at RBGE and appearing in the same chain of email correspondence. References below to "this email" should be read accordingly. This e-mail and its attachments (if any) are confidential, may be protected by copyright and may be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, notify us immediately by reply e-mail, delete it and do not use, disclose or copy it. Unless we expressly say otherwise in this e-mail, this e-mail does not create, form part of, or vary, any contractual or unilateral obligation. No liability is accepted for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan attachments (if any). Where this e-mail is unrelated to the business of RBGE, the opinions expressed within this e-mail are the opinions of the sender and do not necessarily constitute those of RBGE. RBGE emails are filtered and monitored.