[tdwg-humboldt] Humboldt Task Group Meeting Wed 15 March 2023, 08:00 EST/13:00 UTC

John Wieczorek tuco at berkeley.edu
Mon Mar 13 17:17:52 UTC 2023

Hi Yani,

For the summaries, I would simplify the explanation to something like this:

   - *ebird case: *The target was to count all detectable individual birds.
   Because sumQuantities = TRUE, the total number of birds detected during an
   event is the *sum** of *organismQuantities for that event (2+13=15;
   every row for every target for the event counts toward the total for the
   event). Furthermore, the total number of birds of a given species detected
   during an event is the sum *of *organismQuantity for that species for
   that event (2+13=15 *H. rustica*; every row pertaining to the species
   counts toward the total for that species for that event). IF there had been
   an additional target row with observedTaxon =  "Aves" and organismQuantity
   = 15, the total number of birds detected would have been 30 (2+13 *H.
   rustica* and 15 unidentified *Aves*.
   - obis case: The target was to count all detectable *E. antarctica* as
   well as the subsets of *E. antarctica* in the life stages larva and
   postmeta. Because sumQuantities = FALSE, the total number of *E.
   antarctica* detected during an event is the count in the row (15)
   corresponding to the least specific category of *E. antarctica* (that
   with no lifeStage specification). Because the count in the least specific
   category is equal to the sum of the rows with lifeStage, there were no
   other *E. antarctica* detected. *IF the E. antarctica count without any
   lifeStage distinction (bw_target_3) had been 17 instead of 15, that means
   that there were 17 total E. antarctica detected in the event and 2 of them
   were not larvae or postmetas.*

Cheers,

John