[tdwg-humboldt] Absence Use Case Meetings Summary (2022-01-11 meeting)

Yi Ming Gan ymgan at naturalsciences.be
Wed Jan 18 12:59:50 UTC 2023

Hi all,

I just wanted to forward the updates to everyone (especially for Kate and Peter Brenton) to keep you all posted about the updates for the absence use case.

Peter - Your datasets from ALA for the Humboldt use case for the new data model were mentioned in the meeting. Yani is looking into adding that for the absence use case?

Related to this, I also wanted to bring up a previous email thread that I had with John Wieczorek to keep challenges to be solved in separate use cases. I was asking if it is possible to use the same dataset for combined use cases (community measurements + absence), this is his reply which makes lots of sense:
"
>From our (GBIF's use case) perspective, keeping the challenges that are to be solved in separate use cases will make for easier review, not only by us, but by others interested in the proposed solutions. For that reason I would keep an absence use case distinct from a community measurements use case, though both of them can use the same underlying dataset as the example. It sounds like there will be many variations on the absence challenge, and it might end up that putting several of those together in a single use case might eventually be of benefit (how to deal with every kind of absence), but for now I would like to identify the distinct variations and solve each of them. Does that make sense to you all who have the more intimate knowledge?
"

Other than that, it was also acknowledged that taxonomic knowledge changes over time and it is a challenges for any taxonomic data. You can follow the discussions in the google doc here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xQGLHQW3hlMapT5utYi6kWXE7XbFjAGvoWI_V5IfbFA/edit?usp=sharing>. I hope this is sufficient to keeping everyone updated.

Cheers
Ming

Begin forwarded message: