[tdwg-humboldt] Humboldt Task Group Meeting Wed 16 November 2022, 08:00 EST

Zachary Kachian zkachian at fieldmuseum.org
Wed Nov 23 02:49:50 UTC 2022

Hi everyone,

Following up on our conversation from last week about completeness, I spoke
with a couple ecologist colleagues about their understanding of the term.
Here is a summary of their responses:

Person 1) I think of completeness as a calculated variable. Completeness is
valuable if you want to know if you’ve put in enough effort to have
observed all the species present. Completeness is sometimes reported in the
compiled report of an inventory for some taxonomic groups (our inventories
typically survey amphibians and reptiles, birds, fishes, mammals, and
plants). These groups usually report every species within their taxonomic
scope that they observe, although sometimes the mammals team focuses on
large and volant mammals. People may want to use a calculated number to
represent completeness, but then we are getting away from providing raw
data and getting more into analysis. Ways we could calculate completeness
would be species accumulation curves, or  # species observed / # species
expected.

Person 2) My understanding of completeness in this context is
the proportion of all expected species in the sampling area that were
observed during sampling. The way we would calculate that is to record the
# species observed and divide it by the #  of expected species according to
a trusted, independent source.

I hope that is helpful. Please let me know if I can clarify anything.

I will be traveling tomorrow so I will not be able to attend our meeting
this week. See you all the following week!

Best,
Zach