[tdwg-humboldt] Humboldt Core use cases

Neil Stanley Cobb Neil.Cobb at nau.edu
Tue Apr 27 16:51:10 UTC 2021

Hi,

I have popped into a couple of working group meetings in the past three weeks.  I am not sure I can attend meetings on a regular basis. My primary interest is two-fold; 1) want to extend SCAN<https://scan-bugs.org/portal/index.php>'s ability to incorporate fields from arthropod projects that incorporate inventory/monitoring that DwC does not provide. The biggest use case involves bee/pollinator data sets. We are starting to incorporate files from ecological studies on bees/pollinators. All of the cases so far would benefit from adopting a HC set of fields, however the form (e.g., DwC extensions). I am also interested in monitoring projects and pitfall data (see below); and 2) I do want to provide feedback to make HC as robust and effective as possible.

Bee/Pollinator Projects
https://scan-bugs.org/portal/collections/misc/collprofiles.php?collid=275 Drought and Habitat Fragmentation on Native Bee Assemblages
https://scan-bugs.org/portal/collections/misc/collprofiles.php?collid=270 Plant-pollinator community assembly across wildfire gradients
https://scan-bugs.org/portal/collections/misc/collprofiles.php?collid=272 Predicting changes in bee assemblages following state transitions
https://scan-bugs.org/portal/collections/misc/collprofiles.php?collid=278 Maine State Museum - Brianne Du Clos Pollinator Study
Mosquito Monitoring (i.e., repeated measures)
https://scan-bugs.org/portal/collections/misc/collprofiles.php?collid=181 VectorBase (Bioinformatics Resource for Invertebrate Vectors of Human Pathogens)
Ground-Dwelling Arthropods (pitfalls)
Scores of data in SCAN were generated from pitfall studies. Currently, there is no way to compare across datasets (i.e. define "effort" so numbers are expressed in common currency). Sand Brantley is the only publication I know where effort was defined in order to compare spider assemblages from two separate elevation gradients (attached). We might be able to retroactively populate "effort" metrics for over a million records and a standard to guide the process would be very helpful.

Cheers,
Neil

Neil S. Cobb,
Symbiota Collections of Arthropods Network (SCAN)<https://scan-bugs.org/portal/index.php>
Biodiversity Outreach Network<https://www.bon-earth.org/>

Northern Arizona University Flagstaff, AZ 86011
Neil.Cobb at nau.edu<mailto:Neil.Cobb at nau.edu>        neilscobb at gmail.com
(Mobile Office) 928-607-4075
Virtual Office:  https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82515787249
ORCID  https://orcid.org/0000-0002-6155-9444

Do you know where all 200,000 North American arthropod species live?