[tdwg-content] Announcing Workshops and Symposia for TDWG 2017

James Macklin james.macklin at gmail.com
Thu May 18 15:08:13 CEST 2017

Dear Colleagues,

We are excited to announce the list of accepted workshops and symposia at
TDWG 2017, viewable here <https://tdwg.github.io/conferences/2017/program/>.
Abstract submission, which will be via the Pensoft ARPHA tool, will be
available soon. In the meantime, we invite you to begin considering your
contributions to this year's meeting. Abstracts are required for all oral
presentations (with the exception of “wild ideas”, see below), computer
demonstrations, and posters. These categories are described below.

Types of Contributions:

Symposia or Workshop Presentations

The backbone of a TDWG meeting are its symposia and workshops. At TDWG, a
symposium is typically a collection of talks, sometimes with a panel or
open discussion; a workshop may have talks, but typically encourages more
active engagement through training activities, or through facilitated
discussion around a key issue.  Accepted symposia and workshops are listed
here <https://tdwg.github.io/conferences/2017/program/>, along with an
indication of whether or not the symposium/workshop is accepting
submissions. If you would like to give a talk, you should see if any open
workshops/symposia are suitable.

Other Oral Presentations

If no workshop or symposium is suitable, you can submit your abstract to
the "Other Oral Presentation" track. Accepted abstracts will be arranged so
that talks on similar subjects are in the same session.

Computer demonstrations

We will provide an opportunity for live computer demonstrations. Note that
rooms for these presentations may have WiFi connections only (not wired),
and you may want to have a backup plan should the internet connection not
work to your satisfaction.

Posters

We will provide dedicated space for posters, and at least one dedicated
poster session on the agenda. Instructions on poster size will be posted
nearer the conference.

5-Minute Wild Ideas/Unconference

Towards the end of the conference, we will have a “Wild Ideas” session,
with talks selected via an unconference
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconference>-style procedure. Abstracts
will not be required for these.

Best,