[tdwg-content] Tags to describe descriptions, keywords and frequency?

Antonio Rojas Castro rojas.castro.antonio at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 17:46:23 CET 2017

Dear list,

I am new to the Darwin Core World, so I apologize in advance if I am
missing any basics.

I am working on a project that aims to describe plants according to Haller.
We are using DwC to encode information with XML; however, I am missing the
following elements:

   -

   an element to store small descriptions of plants;
   -

   an element to store the place where plants may be found — by that I am
   not meaning the actual location where the plant was identified but its
   habitat in general terms.
   -

   an element to store the frequency of the plant, in other words, if it is
   common or not.

I am currently using my own terms to store this information:

<hllr:addition>
               <hllr:description>foliis subhirsutis, ovato
lanceolatis, acute serratis, peiolis
                  florigeris ramosis, folia superantibus.</hllr:description>
               <hllr:keyword>Wegränder</hllr:keyword>
               <hllr:keyword>Gebüsch</hllr:keyword>
               <hllr:keyword>felsig</hllr:keyword>
               <hllr:frequency>verbreitet</hllr:frequency>
  </hllr:addition>

I am wondering whether I could store that information in DwC tags instead —
or should I be using Dublin Core tags to describe this kind of information?

Many thanks.

Best,

--
​Dr. Antonio Rojas Castro
Research assistant, Cologne Center for eHumanities