[tdwg-content] A proposal to improve Darwin Core for invasive species data

Quentin Groom quentin.groom at plantentuinmeise.be
Sat Jun 25 18:04:40 CEST 2016

Dear Steve,
just to be clear, I was not suggesting dwc:establishmentMeans should be
deprecated nor its name changed, just that the controlled vocabulary fits
the definition.
I understand your point regarding filtering, but it doesn't work due to the
conflation of concepts and the need to accommodate observations and
checklists. The solution I propose would still allow filtering, but would
avoid them being mixed up if they were a planted native species, for
example.

Two data elements that the invasive species researchers want, and are not
provided currently, are the pathway of introduction and the nativeness
(unconflated). If we don't do this using dwc:establishmentMeans, what else
do you propose?
The third elements "occurrenceStatus" is needed for conservation
assessments and for invasive species researchers. There is currently no way
in a checklist to say something is extinct. No one has yet questioned this
suggested change, presumably because dwc:occurrenceStatus has been rather
orphaned by dwc:individualCount. I'm a little surprised that no one has
mentioned this, but dwc:occurrenceStatus currently can be used for
occurrences (present or absent). However, this proposal would only make it
suitable for checklists (e.g. extinct).

Much of the controversy of these proposals comes down to the use of DwC for
checklists verses observations. I think I've said it before, but it would
help is the DwC definitions would distinguish between terms used in these
different contexts.

Before the TDWG meeting in December I hope to find the time to analyse the
current usage of dwc:establishmentMeans and dwc:occurrenceStatus. That
should make interesting reading.

Regards
Quentin

Dr. Quentin Groom