[tdwg-content] A proposal to improve Darwin Core for invasive species data

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Mon Jun 20 01:44:55 CEST 2016

Getting caught up on this thread after a holiday.

Some previous discussion on dwc:establishmentMeans in 2010 was at:
http://lists.tdwg.org/pipermail/tdwg-content/2010-October/001730.html
http://lists.tdwg.org/pipermail/tdwg-content/2010-October/001731.html

The opinion expressed in that thread was that dwc:establishmentMeans was
a property of an organism at a particular place and time (i.e. an
Occurrence.): how did a particular organism come to be in that place at
that time.  In that view, an organism might be at a location because it
was a representative of a native species, or because it was managed at
that location by humans.  In that perspective, it would not make sense
to use the value "invasive" with dwc:establishmentMeans because that is
more of a property of a species at a location rather than an individual
organism at that location and time.

Steve

Quentin Groom wrote:
> I've been working on a proposal to improve Darwin Core for use with
> invasive species data.
>
> The proposal is detailed on GitHub at
> https://github.com/qgroom/ias-dwc-proposal/blob/master/proposal.md.
>
> The proposal is for a new term "origin" and suggested vocabularies for
> establishmentMeans and occurrenceStatus.
>
> I'd welcome your feedback on the proposal.
>
> From my perspective it provides some needed clarity on
> the establishmentMeans and occurrenceStatus fields, but also adds the
> origin that is needed for invasive species research and for
> conservation assessments.
>
> I'm not sure of the best way to discuss this, but if you have concrete
> proposals for changes you might raise them as issues on GitHub, as
> well as mentioning them here.
>
> Regards
> Quentin
>

> Dr. Quentin Groom
> (Botany and Information Technology)
>
> Botanic Garden Meise
> Domein van Bouchout
> B-1860 Meise
> Belgium
>
> ORCID: 0000-0002-0596-5376 <http://orcid.org/0000-0002-0596-5376>
>
> Landline; +32 (0) 226 009 20 ext. 364
> FAX:      +32 (0) 226 009 45
>
> E-mail:     quentin.groom at plantentuinmeise.be
> <mailto:quentin.groom at plantentuinmeise.be>
> Skype name: qgroom
> Website:    www.botanicgarden.be <http://www.botanicgarden.be>

PMB 351634

If you fax, please phone or email so that I will know to look for it.
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu
http://vanderbilt.edu/trees