[tdwg-content] Taxonomic name usage files

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Wed Apr 20 20:33:03 CEST 2016

Thanks, Terry; and agreed!

I’ll claim full-credit for the over-verbosity.  But when it comes to taxon names, and how to structure the information appropriately, I’ve tried every strategy for communicating from super-thin to super-verbose (the recent thread epitomizing the latter); and on balance, none of them are effective because there is SO MUCH noise out there in terminology, and concepts of concepts, and such.  It’s a perpetual uphill battle. My hope is that, in this case, the information was decipherable to primary audience (Nico).

Now… on the topic of uphill battles… we had some great conversations in Florence and Jönköping on how to improve TaxPub to capture the core elements of TNUs (both Protonyms and subsequent usages); but I’m not sure we ever got anywhere.  However, given the recent (excellent) progress with the PLAZI workflow, and some other things that are happening later this year in GNUB-space; perhaps it’s time to revisit those conversations, in the context of Nico’s original question, and hammer-out a functional solution (or, if not a “solution”, at least a quantum step forward).

Aloha,

Rich