[tdwg-content] Taxonomic name usage files

Nico Franz nico.franz at asu.edu
Tue Apr 19 19:43:34 CEST 2016

Thank you, Gaurav, Rich & Greg!

   Really appreciate the detailed information, which will take some time to
digest but is very helpful and concrete. I should note that my colleague
Mike Rosenberg brought this up (you might be aware of this:
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0101704);
I was just fishing the TDWG waters for input - productively, as it turns
out. Greg - those files are great - thanks! Personal opinion: not the first
time that you & Australian colleagues are ahead of the pack.

   At a fairly high level, it does seems to me that if certain kinds of
speaker intentions facilitate particular semantic integration services (or
not so much), then finding a structured way to records these intentions may
be worth exploring. For instance, could I possibly be the author of a
biodiversity data paper where all TNUs are explicitly not "mine"? Or: how
do I record a case where I say "our higher-level classification follows X",
but then X's family-level concepts show up as paraphyletic on my phylogeny.
Apparently I only followed X so much (at which point I 'said': "screw X,
this is better").  All this might mean getting into taxonomists' business,
which makes it ambitious.

Best, Nico