[tdwg-content] Darwin Core terms sex and lifeStage with mixed content

Matt Yoder diapriid at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 17:36:13 CET 2015

"If you want to break down counts to many dimensions you need to represent
occurrences according to those dimensiions."  I agree, and this is the
approach we are taking (multiple lots with their own biocuration
properties, see below).

To follow up with Rich's observations on sex (and things like "stage"
etc).  In our software we have introduced the concept of a Biocuration
class.  Individuals in this class are biologicaly derived concepts *that
are used to organize collections*.   As Rich noted you have to make a bit
of a leap from asserting that an individual classified under the
biocuration class "female" is in fact female.  In our software, by default,
we do not make this leap, but we are considering extending the system to
allow users to add domain/range constraints that would assert additional
classifications, e.g. if a specimen is classified under the biocuration
class "female(s)", then that specimen can be classified as a
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/efo/EFO_0001265.

We feel that the biocuration concept more closely approximates the
day-to-day intent/usage of classifiers like sex, stage, "furs", "bones"
etc. as organizational concepts used to manage collections, rather than a
specific biological assertion about the specimen(s).

Cheers,
Matt