[tdwg-content] Easting and northing

Roderic Page Roderic.Page at glasgow.ac.uk
Sat Feb 7 13:02:32 CET 2015

Pardon my ignorance, but has there ever been a discussion of easting and northing values in regards to Darwin Core? AFAIK the current standard doesn’t mention them. The reason I’m asking is that I’ve just come across some VerbatimLatitude and VerbatimLongitude values in a dataset that is aggregated by VertNet (and hence GBIF) where (after some head scratching) I realised that the verbatim values were actually Easting and Northing (which I didn’t know existed until yesterday). Details are here: https://github.com/ttu-vertnet/ttu-mammals/issues/11

I’m guessing this isn’t a terribly common way to record location information, but it looks like in this case the lack of support for this type of data has resulted in somebody trying to shoehorn them into VerbatimLatitude and VerbatimLongitude, resulting in values which are uninterpretable to aggregators further up the chain.

Regards

Rod

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy