[tdwg-content] Comments on Darwin Core Issue 205 (the proposed Organism term)

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Thu Sep 18 07:06:06 CEST 2014

Hi Hilmar,

I was not clear in my statement.  I should have said “Giving the class *only* an opaque identifier…”.  In other words, my point was something along the lines of:

“As for the name, although using opaque identifiers in DwC is something I would wholeheartedly welcome, in this case all it accomplishes is buying time rather than a solution. Opaquely identified terms still need a human-readable label that's succinct, precise, and accurate, and arguably more so, not less, if the identifier is opaque.”

Aloha,

Rich