[tdwg-content] Audubon Core for STL media type?

Bob Morris morris.bob at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 17:05:40 CEST 2014

Dan -
Your final question "Is there a place to see pending types or those
that are under future consideration?" seems to be echoed in the thread
at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2011Feb/0131.html
My reading of that is that somewhere there is a list of pending IANA
registration submissions, at least those of interest to W3C.  I am
sure I've seen such a thing, but 10 minutes of searching did not turn
one up...

If there is an appropriate URI---especially a resolvable, then in AC
it would be used with dcterms:format, not dc:format.  (Note that there
has been advocacy in TDWG that it is OK to use string literals, e.g.
"STL" with dcterms properties.  I don't concur with that, and in the
case of AC I cannot see a reading of the spec that would permit it.
That is all a separate issue though.)

Bob Morris

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 10:18 AM, Stoner, Dan <dstoner at acis.ufl.edu> wrote:
> The STL media type is used to store 3d geometry information (consumable by
> CAD software and 3D printing systems).  iDigBio has one or more providers
> who are (or will be) generating STL files by scanning (stereolithography?)
> museum specimens to generate a 3D model.
>
> The 3D model is an example of digital media that is related to a physical
> specimen.
>

> I am attempting to determine the proper way to reference this "new" type of
> media in Audubon Core (dc:format).
>
> Wolfram Alpha suggests "application/sla":
>
> http://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/format/STL.html
>

> However, other 3d model formats are listed in IANA as "model" types such as
> "model/x3d-vrml".
>
> The STL format is not listed as an IANA Media Type:
>
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/media-types.xhtml
>
> Is there a place to see pending types or those that are under future
> consideration?
>

> Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.
>

> Dan Stoner
> iDigBio / ACIS Laboratory
> University of Florida

Robert A. Morris

Emeritus Professor  of Computer Science
UMASS-Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd
Boston, MA 02125-3390

Filtered Push Project
Harvard University Herbaria
Harvard University

email: morris.bob at gmail.com
web: http://efg.cs.umb.edu/
web: http://wiki.filteredpush.org
http://www.cs.umb.edu/~ram
===
The content of this communication is made entirely on my
own behalf and in no way should be deemed to express
official positions of The University of Massachusetts at Boston or
Harvard University.