[tdwg-content] NIH Request for Information on Making Big Data Usable

Ramona Walls rlwalls2008 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 20:23:26 CET 2014

Hi everyone,

The NIH currently has an RFI on making big data usable:
http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-ES-15-002.html.

"The NIH is interested in exploring how the BD2K initiative can contribute
to the improvement of policies, governance, administrative procedures, and
funding to support community-based standards (CBS) efforts to develop
and/or extend data and/or metadata standards, and how these activities
relate to other ongoing or nascent biomedical research activities. Within
this context, ‘community’ encompasses a broad range of stakeholders who may
be engaged in the process of data standards development and use, including
technical developers, librarians, science domain experts, researchers,
information scientists, vendors, funders, publishers, and other end users.
- See more at:
http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-ES-15-002.html#sthash.SPhATCiC.dpuf
"

I know most of us do NSF, not NIH funded research, but I think that the
work we do on biodiversity informatics has a lot of relevance to NIH
research (particularly documentation of  microbial biodiversity), and the
lessons learned about community by TDWG are worth sharing and promoting.

I was planning to draft a response from the point of view of the
biodiversity ontology development, but we could also make it a larger
biodiversity informatics response, and include all of TDWG. Alternatively,
there could be one response from TDWG and one from the BCO/PCO groups, if
someone is interested in taking the lead on a TDWG response.

Ramona
Ramona L. Walls, Ph.D.
Scientific Analyst, The iPlant Collaborative, University of Arizona
Research Associate, Bio5 Institute, University of Arizona
Laboratory Research Associate, New York Botanical Garden