[tdwg-content] Darwin Core: proposed news terms for expressing sample data

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Wed Aug 20 20:56:46 CEST 2014

Just a quick comment on Events – we use a hierarchical event model, such that there might be an Event defined for an expedition, with child events for particular legs of an expedition, and grandchild events for dives, and possibly great-grandchild events for individual collecting events within a dive.

In our context, Events are simply the intersection of place and time, with the implication that “something” noteworthy happened at that place and time (and typically including metadata about “who”).  The “time” is represented as a range, and the “location” can be anything from a precise GPS coordinate to “Planet Earth”.  Events are created at a level of granularity of place and time commensurate with what the “something” is.  For example, some events may span many years across a large geographic area, or in a very precise place across a fraction of a second. The degree of nesting events hierarchically is also flexible, commensurate with a human interpretation of how the data should be structured.  The “something” can certainly be the sampling of material in nature, but it’s certainly not limited to that.

None of that really addresses Rob’s questions (the answers to which I am likewise interested in), but I thought I’d add this to the pot.

Aloha,

Rich