[tdwg-content] Darwin Core: proposed news terms for expressing sample data

Robert Guralnick Robert.Guralnick at colorado.edu
Tue Aug 19 16:56:29 CEST 2014

  Hi Éamonn --- I am curious about the outcomes presented in the SIGS
paper, in particular, this portion of the paper:

"Solutions without introducing an event core in Darwin Core Archives:
 During the review of the solutions for the uses cases, it became apparent
that either model could be applied to every use case. The core and
extensions bore a complementary relationship and between them could express
all the required information. The core simply provided the central anchor
in the star schema from which to join the additional information.
Therefore, using the Occurrence core, well established in the GBIF network
through uptake of the IPT, seemed more appropriate than inventing
CollectingEvent as an additional core type."

   That SIGS paper has John Wieczorek and you both as authors, including
many luminaries across the biodiversity standards spectrum.  Given the
above, its curious to see the EventCore come back again, along with a
specific IPT version to support it.

    So I see two issues, conflated, in this post you just made.  One is the
need for an EventCore at all, and the nature of relating Event and
Occurrence/Material Sample.  The second is the introduction of new terms,
which seemingly have arrived after debate on similar terms - but framed
around abundance - stalled a year ago.  To my mind, these both require some
further discussion, because I don't (necessarily) see TDWG community
coherence around either issue?

Best, Rob