[tdwg-content] Proposed changes to Darwin Core Type term NomenclaturalChecklist

Paul J. Morris mole at morris.net
Mon Sep 30 18:32:14 CEST 2013

I'll concur with the intent of a term that describes a record rather
than a dataset, but suggest that the name used be
dwctype:ScientificName rather than dwctype:Nomen.  The definition
explicitly states that it is about a scientific name, but the
latinization to Nomen invites confusion with records that describe
nomenclatural acts.

-Paul

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 18:13:56 +0200
John Wieczorek <tuco at berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> There is a proposal to change the Darwin Core Type vocabulary term
> dwctype:NomenclaturalChecklist
> (http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/type-vocabulary/index.htm#NomenclaturalChecklist).
>
> The basic issue this proposal attempts to solve is that a
> NomenclaturalChecklist is a data set, not a data record and Darwin
> Core Type vocabulary is meant to designate the type of a record. The
> types of records in a nomenclatural checklist data set would be
> taxonomic names, hence "dwctype:Nomen".
>
> As this is a substantive semantic change, we must follow the Darwin
> Core Namespace Policy's Term Change Policy, section 3.3, Semantic
> changes in Darwin Core terms, which includes a minimum 30-day public
> comment period beginning today.
>
> The issue is further described on the Darwin Core Project issue
> tracker at https://code.google.com/p/darwincore/issues/detail?id=177.
> The proposal would deprecate the current version of
> dwctype:NomenclaturalChecklist in favor of a new version with the
> following definition:
>
> Term Name: Nomen
> Identifier: http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/dwctype/Nomen
> Namespace: http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/dwctype/
> Label: Nomen
> Definition: A resource describing a scientific name.
> Comment: For discussion see
> http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/wiki/DwCTypeVocabulary (there will
> be no
> further documentation here until the term is ratified)
> Type of Term: http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Class
> Date Issued: 2009-01-23
> Date Modified: 2013-09-30
> Has Domain:
> Has Range:
> Refines:
> Version: Nomen-2013-09-30
> Replaces: NomenclaturalChecklist-2009-01-23
> IsReplaceBy:
> Class:
> ABCD 2.0.6: not in ABCD (someone please confirm or deny this)
>
> If there are any objections to the changes proposed for this existing
> term, or comments about its definition, please respond to this
> message. If there are no objections or if consensus can be reached on
> any amendments put forward, the proposal will go before the Executive
> Committee for authorization to put these additions into effect after
> the public commentary period.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John

Paul J. Morris
Biodiversity Informatics Manager
Harvard University Herbaria/Museum of Comparative Zoölogy
mole at morris.net  AA3SD  PGP public key available