[tdwg-content] Proposed new Darwin Core terms - abundance, abundanceAsPercent

Aaike De Wever aaike.dewever at naturalsciences.be
Thu Sep 26 08:44:17 CEST 2013

Dear all,

As somewhat of an outsider I have another question with regards to the
proposed terms abundance and abundanceAsPercent.

Is there a specific reason for not adopting:
* the abundance field as a field to store only the value and
* a field abundanceUnit/abundanceType to specify whether the value is in
% of species, % of biovolume, % of biomass, individuals/l, ind./m^2,
ind/m^3, ind./sampling effort,...(instead of having a field specific for %)?

Maybe this has been discussed during the hackathon and I missed it in
the report?

Thanks for considering this question.

With best regards,
Aaike

John Wieczorek wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> GBIF has just published "Meeting Report: GBIF hackathon-workshop on
> Darwin Core and sample data (22-24 May 2013)" at
> http://www.gbif.org/orc/?doc_id=5424. Now that this document is
> available for public reference, I would like to formally open the
> minimum 30-day comment period on two related new terms proposed during
> the workshop and defined in the referenced document.
>
> The formal proposal would add the following new terms:
>
> Term Name: abundance
> Identifier: http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/abundance
> Namespace: http:/rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/
> Label: Abundance
> Definition: The number of individuals of a taxon found in a sample.
> This is typically expressed as number per unit of area or volume. In
> the case of vegetation and colonial/encrusting species, percent cover
> can be used.
> Comment: Examples: "4 per square meter", "0.32 per cubic meter",
> "24%". For discussion see
> http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/wiki/Occurrence (there will be no
> further documentation here until the term is ratified)
> Type of Term: http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#Property
> Refines:
> Date Issued: 2012-03-01
> Date Modified: 2013-09-25
> Has Domain:
> Has Range:
> Refines:
> Version: abundance-2013-09-25
> Replaces:
> IsReplaceBy:
> Class: http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/Occurrence
> ABCD 2.0.6: not in ABCD (someone please confirm or deny this)
>
> Term Name: abundanceAsPercent
> Identifier: http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/abundanceAsPercent
> Namespace: http:/rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/
> Label: Abundance as Percent
> Definition: 100 times the number of individuals of a taxon found in a
> sample divided by the total number of individuals of all taxa in the
> sample.
> Comment: Examples: "2.4%". For discussion see
> http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/wiki/Occurrence (there will be no
> further documentation here until the term is ratified)
> Type of Term: http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#Property
> Refines:
> Date Issued: 2012-08-01
> Date Modified: 2013-09-25
> Has Domain:
> Has Range:
> Refines:
> Version: abundanceAsPercent-2013-09-25
> Replaces:
> IsReplaceBy:
> Class: http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/Occurrence
> ABCD 2.0.6: not in ABCD (someone please confirm or deny this)
>
> The related issues in the Darwin Core issue tracker are
> https://code.google.com/p/darwincore/issues/detail?id=142
> and
> https://code.google.com/p/darwincore/issues/detail?id=187
>
> If there are any objections to the changes proposed for these new
> [...]

Aaike De Wever
BioFresh Science Officer
Freshwater Laboratory, Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences
Vautierstraat 29, 1000 Brussels
Belgium
tel.: +32(0)2 627 43 90
mobile.: +32(0)486 28 05 93