[tdwg-content] Proposed new Darwin Core terms - abundance, abundanceAsPercent

John Wieczorek tuco at berkeley.edu
Thu Oct 24 14:26:28 CEST 2013

I see several problems with using MeasurementOrFact in this way.

What happens when someone wants to add the next MeasurementOrFact to
"Simple" Darwin Core? They won't be able to. "Every field in the
Simple Darwin Core may appear either once or not at all in a single
record - otherwise how could you distinguish one scientificName field
from another one? Think of a database table. It will not allow you to
have the same name for two different fields. Because of this design
restriction (lack of flexibility for the sake of simplicity), the
auxiliary fields from the ResourceRelationship and MeasurementOrFact
classes are of somewhat limited utility here - you could only share
one MeasurementOrFact and one ResourceRelationship per record." [2].

Why should abundance take precedence over any other potential MeasurementOrFact?

Unlike all other terms in Simple Darwin Core, the labels for the
MeasurementOrFact terms will not explicitly state what is in them.
There will be no definition to look up in Darwin Core to understand
that the content is supposed to be an abundance, or what an abundance
is.

With MeasurementOrFact in the Darwin Core Occurrence Core Type [3],
data publishers using Darwin Core Archives would be tempted to use the
terms to capture the measurement or fact from of most importance to
them from their data set, and there would be no guidance to tell them
not to do so. A consumer would have to look into the content of the
measurementType field to understand what to do with the contents of
the other two fields. I'd urge to keep such a mess out of the realm of
Simple Darwin Core.

[1] http://www.earthobservations.org/documents/meetings/201202_geobon_ebv/30_ebv_species_table_v2.pdf
[2] http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/simple/index.htm#rules
[3] http://rs.gbif.org/core/dwc_occurrence.xml