[tdwg-content] A plea around basisOfRecord (Was: Proposed new Darwin Core terms - abundance, abundanceAsPercent)

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Mon Oct 14 00:44:38 CEST 2013

Donald,

With regards to the uncertainty about the meaning of dwc:basisOfRecord,
the proposed Darwin Core RDF Guide attempts to inject clarity into the
situation.   It does so in two ways:

1. It allows dwc:basisOfRecord to be used with literal (text) values to
allow existing implementations to expose whatever values they currently
have for that term.  However, it specifies that rdf:type should be used
exclusively as the property for specifying URI-reference values intended
to indicate the type of the subject resource. [1]  There is some
ambiguity about what the subject is of a dwc:basisOrRecord property (the
resource, or the record about the resource?).  However, there is no
similar ambiguity about rdf:type which always serves to indicate the
class of which the subject resource is an instance.

2. It specifies that classes in the Darwin Core Type vocabulary
namespace (dwctype: = http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/dwctype/ ) should be used
for typing resources in the biodiversity domain rather than any
corresponding classes in the main Darwin Core namespace (dwc: =
http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/ ).  [2]  In other words, if given the
choice between dwc:Occurrence and dwctype:Occurrence, use
dwctype:Occurrence.  The guide proposes to add to the type vocabulary
any classes which  exist in the dwc: namespace and not in the dwctype:
namespace (e.g. dwc:Identification).  The intention is that the DwC type
vocabulary would be what it's name suggests: the vocabulary for
describing types.  There are some issues involving the current
definitions in the type vocabulary, which I won't go into in this
email.  As Rich said earlier, this is a topic for one of the Documenting
Darwin Core sessions at the meeting.

Although these guidelines would hold force specifically for RDF
implementations, this is a convention that could be followed in other
implementations.

Steve

[1]
http://code.google.com/p/tdwg-rdf/wiki/DwcRdfGuideProposal#2.3.1.4_Other_predicates_used_to_indicate_type
[2]
http://code.google.com/p/tdwg-rdf/wiki/DwcRdfGuideProposal#2.3.1.5_Classes_to_be_used_for_type_declarations_of_resources_de

Donald Hobern [GBIF] wrote:

> Thanks, Rich.
>

> Very pleased to see this.  With this encouragement, I'll say just a
> little bit more about why I think this is a critical need.
>

> I see the model I describe as the perfect real-world realisation of
> most of the key components in the GBIO Framework
> (http://www.biodiversityinformatics.org/), as follows:
>

> 1.       Everyone zips up whatever data they have from each resource
> (databases, field instruments, sequencers, data extracted from
> literature, checklists, whatever) into a DwC Archive using whatever
> DwC elements they can for data elements and describing other elements
> not currently recognised in DwC (the GBIO DATA layer)
>
> 2.       These archives should be placed in repositories that offer
> basic services (DOIs, annotation services, etc.) (the GBIO CULTURE layer)
>
> 3.       Harvesters assess the contents of each archive and determine
> what views can be supported from the supplied elements (occurrence
> records for GBIF, name usage records, species interactions, etc.) and
> catalogue these views in relevant discovery indexes (GBIF, Catalogue
> of Life, TraitBank, etc.) (the GBIO EVIDENCE layer)
>
> 4.       Users can at any time annotate elements in the archives to
> provide mappings for (potentially more recently defined) DwC or other
> properties, opening up new options for reuse
>

> Donald

> Donald Hobern - GBIF Director - dhobern at gbif.org
>
> Global Biodiversity Information Facility http://www.gbif.org/
>
> GBIF Secretariat, Universitetsparken 15, DK-2100 Copenhagen Ø, Denmark
>
> Tel: +45 3532 1471  Mob: +45 2875 1471  Fax: +45 2875 1480

> new Darwin Core terms - abundance, abundanceAsPercent)
>

> Hi Donald,
>

> MANY thanks for this!  And you are certainly not alone in your
> concerns about these issues.  In fact, we have planned a Symposium for
> "Documenting DarwinCore"
>
> (https://mbgserv18.mobot.org/ocs/index.php/tdwg/2013/schedConf/trackPolicies
>
> #track11), and one of the four sessions (Session 3, to be precise) of
> the symposium focuses exactly on this issue of
> basisOfRecord/dcterms:type/etc.
>

> Another session (Session 2) will focus on proposed and
> perhaps-to-be-proposed new classes (Individual, MaterialSample,
> Evidence), and will start out with a series graphs illustrating the
> existing high-level ontology and possible alternative high-level
> ontologies, as you indicate in your items 3 & 4.
>

> Aloha,
>
> Rich

PMB 351634

If you fax, please phone or email so that I will know to look for it.
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu