[tdwg-content] A plea around basisOfRecord (Was: Proposed new Darwin Core terms - abundance, abundanceAsPercent)

Donald Hobern [GBIF] dhobern at gbif.org
Sun Oct 13 19:24:28 CEST 2013

Thanks, Rich.

Very pleased to see this.  With this encouragement, I'll say just a little
bit more about why I think this is a critical need.

I see the model I describe as the perfect real-world realisation of most of
the key components in the GBIO Framework
(http://www.biodiversityinformatics.org/), as follows:

1.       Everyone zips up whatever data they have from each resource
(databases, field instruments, sequencers, data extracted from literature,
checklists, whatever) into a DwC Archive using whatever DwC elements they
can for data elements and describing other elements not currently recognised
in DwC (the GBIO DATA layer)

2.       These archives should be placed in repositories that offer basic
services (DOIs, annotation services, etc.) (the GBIO CULTURE layer)

3.       Harvesters assess the contents of each archive and determine what
views can be supported from the supplied elements (occurrence records for
GBIF, name usage records, species interactions, etc.) and catalogue these
views in relevant discovery indexes (GBIF, Catalogue of Life, TraitBank,
etc.) (the GBIO EVIDENCE layer)

4.       Users can at any time annotate elements in the archives to provide
mappings for (potentially more recently defined) DwC or other properties,
opening up new options for reuse

Donald

Donald Hobern - GBIF Director - dhobern at gbif.org

Global Biodiversity Information Facility http://www.gbif.org/

GBIF Secretariat, Universitetsparken 15, DK-2100 Copenhagen Ø, Denmark

Tel: +45 3532 1471  Mob: +45 2875 1471  Fax: +45 2875 1480