[tdwg-content] Delimiters for Darwin Core list-type terms

Paul J. Morris mole at morris.net
Mon Oct 7 17:47:38 CEST 2013

On Mon, 7 Oct 2013 12:28:44 +0200
John Wieczorek <tuco at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> On the list of pending Darwin Core issues is a topic of general
> concern about terms that could or do recommend the concatenation and
> delimiting of a list of values. The specific issue was submitted on
> the Darwin Core Project site at
> https://code.google.com/p/darwincore/issues/detail?id=168. Right now
> there is variation in the recommendations of distinct terms.

I concur that standardization of possible delimiters in the documentation would be a good thing.

Point of information: The AppleCore guidance specifies, in a number of
places, the following guidance for a delimiter when a field contains a
list of values:  'Separate with "|" or ";"', and in one place
(preparations) 'separated by ";" or "|"'.

-Paul
--
Paul J. Morris
Biodiversity Informatics Manager