[tdwg-content] dcterms:rights, dcterms:accessRights, and dcterms:license in Darwin Core

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Nov 7 19:04:45 CET 2013

In the context of developing the DwC RDF Guide and trying to maintain
consistency with Audubon Core, I have written on the subject of various
license-related terms [1].   In particular, I discuss the implications
of various subproperty relationships that have been asserted for several
common license-related terms, such as cc:license, xhv:license, and
dcterms:license.

I should note that the issue that Bob brings up also applies to
dcterms:license because dcterms:license is rdfs:subPropertyOf
dcterms:rights. [2]  So suggesting a license URI as a value for
dcterms:rights can't be "wrong" because a reasoner could infer that
triple anyway based on the subproperty relationship.

An additional issue is the fact that the range of dcterms:license is
dcterms:LicenseDocument, a non-literal class. [2]  So it would be best
to NOT use that term with a string literal.  In the RDF Guide[3], we
recommend using legacy dc: namespace terms (where they exist) with
literal values [4] in cases where DCMI declares non-literal ranges for
dcterms: namespace terms.  Unfortunately, there is no dc: namespace
analogue for dcterms:license.  Because dcterms:license was not part of
Darwin Core when the guide was written, there is no suggestion for a
literal value analogue to dcterms:license in the guide itself.  But
following the lead of Audubon Core, the ancillary document [1] suggests
that the term xmpRights:UsageTerms could be used as a literal value
alternative to dcterms:license.  I would be interested in hearing
opinions about whether this suggestion is appropriate or not.  The
ancillary document is informative and not part of any standard so it can
easily be changed to reflect any consensus about what we consider to be
a best practice.

Steve

[1] http://code.google.com/p/tdwg-rdf/wiki/LicenseProperties
[2] http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#terms-license